July 17, 2013

Lessons Learn't so far on My Hair Journey (Shedding)

Over the next couple of months I am going to be sharing through a series of blog post, some of the experiences I have had whilst being on my healthy hair journey as well as highlighting the varied lessons learnt. Today’s highlight features Shedding.

What is Shedding?

Shedding is a natural process where our hair has reached the end of its growing cycle, which is usually between 4-6 years.  They are usually long strands of hair with a white bulb at the top of the strand. On average most women shed about 50-100 hairs a day, but sometimes you might start to notice more than normal hair loss on your bathroom floors, bathroom drains, which 

could be as a result of poor diet, stress or after the birth of a child. Shedding may last days, weeks or months for those who are experiencing post-partum shedding.

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the main culprit of hair loss, which is a hormone responsible for hair loss.  DHT is a derivative of the male testosterone, is the enemy of hair follicles on your head.  DHT shrinks hair follicles, making it impossible for healthy hair to survive. (Source)

Research has shown that caffeine blocks the damaging effects of DHT on your hair follicles and stimulates the growth of new hair. (Source)

Ways to Combat Shedding?

[1]     Garlic Shampoo (Queen Helene)
[2]     Black Tea Rinses – You can steep 2-5bags of tea and leave it steeping for hours to
         overnight before using it. This contains more caffeine than a cup of coffee which helps
         to block DHT. The tea adds shine and softens the hair. It also darkens your hair 
         and boosts the natural highlights in your hair.
[3]     Diet – Make sure you are eating proteins and receiving adequate nutrients from the
         foods you are eating.
[4]     Put the comb down and avoid excessive combing and brushing.

I’m not a heavy shedder so I haven’t gotten on the Black Tea Rinses band wagon. The first time my hair started to shed was when I was 14weeks post relaxer on my very first ever stretch.  I was sick just about that time I didn't comb or moisturize my hair for 5 days, I just lay in bed most of the time.  When my hair started to shed more than normal I first thought was perhaps it’s because I was sick I didn't get to give my hair some TLC ( I missed 2 co-wash days and 1 full wash day as I didn't want my cold to develop any further due to me wetting my hair) or moisturizing and seal my hair while I was sick. Also I thought my hair can only handle 14weeks post relaxer that’s why my shedding was out of control.  I relaxed at 16weeks post and my hair still shed for about 3 weeks and it stopped and went back to normal.

During my recent stretch of 16weeks, my hair started to shed excessively at 14weeks again.  I also didn't wash my hair between weeks 13 and 15 so I think it fair to say that perhaps my hair can’t handle stretching for more than 14weeks before it starts shedding like crazy. My hair was relaxed at 16weeks post and I’m 6 weeks post and it’s still shedding more than normal.  I was on holiday for 2weeks after my relaxer and didn't bother to walk with anything to help with the shedding.  At 4 weeks post I did my first Black tea rinse and have done 3 so far.

How I do My Black Tea Rinse?

I boiled water in my kettle and poured it into a bowl and put in 2 tea bags. I left it steeping for an hour before I used it. After I shampooed my hair, I poured the steeped tea all over my hair from root to tip and left it on for 4 mins then rinsed. My hair felt sooooooo strong but yet stiff and I knew this was a win win technique that I just adapted. Applied my Aussie Moist Conditioner for 2 mins then rinsed.  Just as I was about to apply my deep conditioner I realized my hair was clumping together which I didn't like.  The second time around before rinsing out the tea, I decided to add my Aussie Moist Conditioner on top of the tea for 2 mins before rinsing.  That made a huge difference with how my hair felt afterwards and I didn't have any clumping this time *happy dance*.

Please click image to enlarge
I have been doing Black tea rinses now for 3 weeks and my shedding has decreased but not illuminated or back to normal yet. I plan to keep doing them till my shedding is back to normal. I noticed a decrease in my shedding after the second time I used it. I comb my hair twice a week and wear protective or low manipulation styles to make sure I keep my fingers out of my hair. Since I have realized there is a pattern when my hair reaches 14weeks post relaxer, I plan to get ahead of the game by doing tea rinses from 12weeks post. Wish me luck!

Are you experiencing any shedding and how do you curb it?

Be Inspired…





15 comments:

  1. Great post! I never have much luck with stopping excessive shedding but I've only ever tried garlic. I might have to try black tea since you've seen a decrease :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try Lesley, looking forward to hearing your experience.

      Delete
  2. At the start of my hair journey I used to confuse breaking with shedding. Hence I incorporated black tea rinse in my wash days and now I always use black tea or coffee rinses with every wash day. I like the end results of black tea to coffee. I think my shedding is control.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Happy it works for you *throws confetti*

      Delete
  3. Yay! Another BTR success story! I think that I'm a seasonal shedder. I shed like crazy last spring so once winter hit---I went into preventative mode. I incorporated tea rinses, Philip Kingsley Itchy/Flaky scalp toner, and mindful meditation into my regimen. My shedding has been under control since! Great post!

    www.savingourstrands.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have always raved about it and I'm glad i gave it a try.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, I am yet to try the tea rinses but hopefully I soon will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try, I'm sure you won't regret it.

      Delete
  5. I have never tried tea rinses even though I bought the tea to do so. I still plan to try it one day to see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

      Delete
  6. I noticed that my hair starts shedding between 12-14 weeks and decided to try a black tea rinse. Previously I used the Queen Helene garlic shampoo which helped some, but the tea rinse slowed the shedding down even more. I think I'll try tea rinsing at the 12 weeks mark so I can make it completely through my 6 month stretch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, someone else is experiencing shedding around the same time as I am, its good to know I'm not alone. Good luck on your 6month stretch.

      Delete
    2. Hi Tomi, can you get the silk elements leave in conditioner here in Barbados?

      Delete
  7. I've been meaning to start regular black tea rinses to see how my hair responds to this. It's great you have seen a decreased in shed hair after doing the rinses :)

    ReplyDelete

Join in on the Discussion!