August 25, 2015

What Do You Consider Long Hair…

Is this a strange question? I ask because what I perceived as long hair as a teenager is far from what I believe it is now. Let’s just blame it on being on a healthy hair journey j/k. As a teenager growing up and my mom not knowing how best to take care of my hair, it ended up always being dry, brittle and short. It could barely touch my shirt collar for all of my early teenage years.
Neck Length Hair
While at school I always admired girl’s hair that was passed their shirt collar and wondered ‘wow’ her hair is so long, why my hair wouldn't grow.  Fast forward to today, those girls hair were Armpit Length (APL). Now after being on a healthy hair journey and starting just alil over Neck Length (NL) but not quite Shoulder Length (SL), Armpit length is not long hair in my opinion now. I think because knowledge has exposed us to endless lengths once we take good care of our hair. Now don’t get me wrong, the health of our hair is the most important thing and length will surely follow but I just don’t get excited with APL lengths anymore. I guess the longer our hair gets the more things we want to try with our hair but sometimes length is our problem to achieve the style.
What is considered Long Hair?
Since I've started a healthy hair journey Bra Strap Length seems to be the place where all the long hair girls reside lol. I mean the longer our hair gets, we are still not satisfied with the length and we all want our hair to grow with unrealistic length goals. Please don’t be discouraged if you don’t meet a particular goal at a specific time. Sometimes I see people at damaged Neck length and their goal is to be Bra Strap after one year. Now that’s unrealistic and you’re just setting up yourself for disappointment.

My ultimate hair goal right now is to have thick, full healthy ends at Waist Length and maintain it at that length until I’m ready for a new adventure.

At which length do you consider your hair long?

Be inspired…


17 comments:

  1. Anything past bra strap length. Before my healthy hair journey began I also used to think that APL is the longest that African hair can grow, lol I was totally wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Becca. Anything past Bra strap length is long for me. I guess we Africans had the same belief about armpit hair been the longest. Lol! Thank God for healthy hair journeys.
    momashairjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the other ladies wrote, I would consider anything past full bra strap length long. Before my hair journey I considered past arm pit length long, short hair wasn't the norm in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hype with my APL hair but since my last trim I'm not sure if I've come back to that length yet (length check coming soon :-) I'm just happy with the health of my hair these days but long hair to me is also BSL then you've made it LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous hair Tomes. When I started my hair journey all I wanted was APL as that was about the longest my hair had ever been. When I eventually reached that length after growing it out from my neck it seemed short and I was always wanting more length. My hair is BSL/MBL now which I cut from full waist length and I feel like my hair is short even though I know it's not x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inspiration, Tomes. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also agree with everyone else that BSL seems pretty long to me. I used to think APL was long but as I continue with my hair journey it doesn't seem so long anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arm Pit Length is long to me when you look at what's really going on in real life. The online hair community is a group of women that take really good care of their hair so by default, their hair is longer. But, when you look around your neighborhood, I'm pretty sure Arm Pit Length is long in comparison to the rest of what you see. Or, that's true for my area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! APL is very long compared to what I see around me as well. I would like to get to BSL as my ultimate length anything longer just means extra work and more products lol!

      Delete
  9. i am armpit length, but i consider Long hair form Bra strap and beyond!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything longer than the chin is considered long in my opinion. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I reached full APL I was so excited and happy to have hair laying on my back and shoulders. I had been stuck at neck length for a few years before the hair journey and didn't think my hair was ever going to grow past my shoulders. Once I got to APL I was hungry for even longer hair, but I considered my hair long at full APL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I reached APL I thought that was long to me. My hair has never been past my shoulders. However, I'm aiming for waist length...which I call "dream length." I know I'll get there one day

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think can be misleading to go by body references.It all depends on your height, your neck etc. When I watch some peoples length photo their APL is very close to their BSL due to how their body is built. I have almost 4 inches between my BSL and my APL.

    it also depends on how you measure. Some people have a long tip that reaches down to the line, some people have a V and yet others have a rounded shape. I would consider full (when the whole hair is reaching) APL as quite long hair. WL and HL I consider extremely long hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a lot of sense! Body height plays a big role in the different lengths on a diverse group of women.

      Delete
  14. I think that anything BSL and beyond looks amazing. You can still get curls and not look like you have no hair.

    I truly never thought that black hair could grow long and strong but the past few years have proved that it's not true.

    Keep up the god work, you are doing a fine job with your hair journey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think length is really all relative. My hair used to be bra strap length till I cut it to chin length at 16. Since then I've felt various lengths are either too long or too short for me. Now I'm just letting my hair grow as it pleases.

    ReplyDelete

Join in on the Discussion!